Thursday 20 February 2014

St. Peter Damian and Saint Raphael Arnaiz


  

Friday, 21 February 2014
Friday of the Sixth week in Ordinary Time


See commentary below or click here
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 8:34-38.9:1.
Jesus summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, «Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. Commentary of the day : 

Saint Raphael Arnaiz Baron (1911-1938), a Spanish Trappist monk 
Spiritual writings 07/04/1938 (trans. Mairin Mitchell) 


"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me"


What joy to live in the Cross of Christ! Who could complain of suffering? Only the insensate man who does not adore the Passion of Christ, the Cross of Christ, the Heart of Christ, can in his own griefs, give way to despair... How good it is to live united with the Cross of Christ. 

Christ Jesus... teach me that truth which consists in rejoicing in scorn, injury, degradation; teach me to suffer with that humble, silent joy of the saints; teach me to be gentle towards those who don't love me or who despise me; teach me that truth which from the mound of Calvary you reveal to the whole world. 

But I know: a very gentle voice within me explains it all; I feel something in me which comes from you and which I don't know how to put into words; so much mystery is revealed that man cannot apprehend it. I, Lord, in my way, do understand it. It is love. In that is everything. I know it, Lord, nothing more is needed, nothing more, it is love! Who shall describe the love of Christ? Let men, creatures, and all things, keep silent, so that we may hear in the stillness the whisperings of love, meek, patient, immense, infinite, which from the Cross Jesus offers us with his arms open. The world, mad, doesn't listen.

No comments: