Tuesday 24 May 2011

COMMENTS re Atlas Monks

Four Forwarded Messages



----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Donald Nunraw
To: William ...
Sent: Tue, 24 May, 2011 11:08:33
Subject: Fw: PS - [Blog] Atlas Monks Christian-Muslim Love Gift of PEACE 

Something of a symposium.
 
Sancta Maria Abbey, NUNRAW
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Donald
Sent: Tue, 24 May, 2011 10:59:36
Subject: Fw: PS - [Blog]
Atlas Monks Christian-Muslim Love Gift of PEACE

Dear, William,
Early bird you are (8:42am, now  9:30 am).
Thank you for most apt Mass preliminary. 
Last evening Compline we had a power breakdown and could not print an Introduction. 
So for the community Mass, the thought came out of the visual. In front of the Paschal Candle is a glorious floral bouquet, received yesterday from unknown donor  - a beautiful GIFT!
Jesus in the Gospel, Jn. 14:27, "...this is the my gift to you". 
Flowers are gift of a message.
Jesus' gift is his word, "... my PEACE I give you". 
His gift is more than word, the gift is Himself.
Offering the Mass we too offer the gift of our selves, being at one in Christ. ...
 
Donald
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: William .......
To:  Donald ...
Sent: Tue, 24 May, 2011 8:42:49
Subject: PS - [Blog] Atlas Monks Christian-Muslim Love

Dear Father Donald,
Still reflecting upon the Seven Martrys and the divisions and separations between faiths, I find that DGO today has a beautiful prayer as commentary:



John 14:27-31. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. 


Blessed John XXIII (1881-1963), pope 
"My peace I give to you"

This is our prayer, O Jesus: Banish from men's hearts everything that could compromise their peace; confirm them in truth, justice, love for each other. Enlighten all leaders: may their efforts on behalf of peoples' well-being be united in the task with a view to ensuring them peace. Stir up the wills of all to overthrow the barriers that divide us and to strengthen the bonds of charity. Stir up the wills of all to be ready to understand, to sympathize, to forgive;that all may be united in your name, and that in hearts, in families, in the whole world, peace, your peace, may triumph.
United in prayer for the world,
William



----- Forwarded Message ----
From: WILLIAM ...
To: Fr Donald ...
Sent: Monday, 23 May, 2011 20:52:31
Subject: Re: [Blog] Atlas Monks Christian-Muslim Love

Dear Father Donald,
Your 'detective' work has provided fascinating insights on all sides in the political upheavals in Algeria at that time that in turn throw light upon the distrust and intolerance that fester today: throughout, it is the constancy of the Seven Brothers that shines as a beacon of the love of God and our neighbour.
The spirit of witness of the Brothers is truly with us. It is as Br. Paul wrote:"I believe that the Good News is sown, the grain is germinating. The Spirit is at work, he works in the depths of the heart of people"  - and, may the words he added be heard by everyone today - "Let’s be available so that he can act in us”.
Their lives were, as Fr. Christian wrote, "GIVEN to God" and to unity in love.

Thank you for giving us so much to cherish in their memory.

... in Our Risen Lord,
William









From: Fr Donald ...
To: william ...
Sent: Monday, 23 May, 2011 16:48:06
Subject: [Dom Donald's Blog] Atlas Monks Christian-Muslim Love  




+ + +

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: WILLIAM ...
To: Donald ...
Sent: Sat, 21 May, 2011 19:22:13
Subject: Re: [Blog] Monks of Algeria

Dear Father Donald,
It is so good to remember the Seven Brothers with you, and it is so wonderful that there is your Blog to share your commemoration far and wide. When I googled for a good photograph of the icon for the card, so many of the references came up with 'domdonald's' blog! The Seven Martyrs witness is seen across the Atlas of The World.
The texts on the card came right into my hand! I often turn up your booklets and other literature that I have collected over the years, and when I was pondering after watching the DVD of the film, these text selections 'jumped out' at me from a little publication "The Blood of Love - The martyrs of Algeria". Google kindly supplies details http://www.africamission-mafr.org/sang_martyrgb.htm (although whoever uploaded it missed Fr. Celestin's text, putting Br. Paul's in its place - and then repeating it for Br. Paul in French).
The Wiki article represents a significant editorial challenge - better if the linkhttp://liamdevlin.tripod.com/nunraw/atlas.htm to your on-line script could be hyper-linked in the text summary! for the summary might be all that an enquirer might read. I have never 'dared' to attempt a contribution to a Wiki article... I usually hunt to gain understanding! Having said that, if I were to spot any possible need for corrections, I would send you an e-mail! I am enjoying following the other links also.
The book "The Monks of Tibhirine" by John W Kiser almost sent me into 'order mode' but I read one review that caused me to delay to first speak with you when I come on retreat. The reviewer quotes a sentence from the book that troubles him: "The author writes: "The monks were not martyrs to their faith. They did not die because they wre Christians. The died because they wouldn't leave their Muslim friends." Uh? If they had been Muslims would they have died? They lived a Christian ideal, which is why they stayed. They died for it. He admits to be contrarian. He'd do better to be fair." 
I loved your photograph of the Roses - Erica's very best of kindness supplying! Fr. Stephen has (often) thanked me for the annual reminder!
So much joy you have given me this day as I commemorated their memory with you, thank you Father.
....  in Our Risen Lord,
William



Paschal Flowers - 7 roses for Atlas Monks

No comments: