Friday 13 July 2012

Where do we go from here - Cardinal Suenens



Cardinal Suenens
Month Commemoration - Night Office and Mass Introduction - Fr. Nivard

Where do I go from here?

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Nivard McGlynn
Sent: Friday, 13 July 2012, 10:28
Subject: Where do I go from here?

Introduction to this morning's Mass. 13 July 2012
Words from this popular hymn were quoted by Cardinal Suenens in his talk.

His talk was read at the Office of Readings early this morning.

Today we celebrate the monthly Mass and Office for brethren, relatives, benefactors and friends
who died in the course of the past month.

Cardinal Suenens, The Listener 25 July  74 p. 111"Where do we go from here? " adapted.

He was asked many questions on radio and TV but he was never asked the question “What is the meaning of life after death?”But this question was asked in the popular song, 'Where do I go from here?' Deep in our hearts this question means” How do you see life today?” The future is the key to the present.

     If there is no Ressurection I refuse to love and be loved. True love means a love that will last forever. The human heart cannot be deceived in this.

The future is a light for life and for the present time. This is what we essentially need to know. The question was put to a philosopher, when he was dying, “What do you feel now?” His answer was “An immense curiosity”.  I hope my answer will be at that moment, “An immense confidence in God’s love”.

 Father, lead me on my way. Grant me abiding faith and peace of mind and I won't ask 'Where do I go from here?' through your son, Jesus Christ our Lord.


Listen to You Tube: jim reeves where do i go from here
The words below...

Where do we go from here,
a talk by Cardinal Suenens
(The Listener, 25 July ’74, p.111)

Journalists, have asked me, over the years, a lot of questions, somet1mes very tricky. What do you think about the pill, abortion, population problems, Women's Liberation? Never before have I been asked this very serious question: 'What is the meaning of life after death?' But this is what everybody should ask, in the depth of his own conscience, because this question means, finally: 'How do you see life today?' The future is not only the future; it is the key to the present. I have to make an option, a choice

If nothing was to be expected after death, for me life would have lost sense and meaning. I cannot understand either suffering or love if I cannot see both in the light of eternity. Suffering cannot be without meaning. Suffering cannot be just nonsense. Let us imagine a child in the womb of his mother. Let us suppose, for a moment that that unborn child should become conscious before birth. What a chaos of impressions that child would have! It would all see so meaningless. But all that apparent nonsense receives a meaning the day the little child is born, and sees the sunlight. Then it appears clearly that every of his growing in the womb of his mother was a noviciate for life, preparation for the future.

In the light of eternity, meaning the new life after death, I cannot yet explain everything, but at least I feel the meaning, the orientation of all that. If life here on earth is a preparation then I come out of darkness and see a ray of sunshine in all that happens to me. In the same way I cannot understand love, real love, true, deep love, without the perspective of eternity. I refuse to love and to be loved only for a short time. True love involves, in the heart of each of us, that love will last for ever. Every song of lave will have some way of expressing that. ‘I will love you always.' The human heart cannot be deceived in this.

That future is a light for life and present time, and this should be enough for us: this is what we essentially need to know. But, of course, we wish to have at least a glimpse of that future, and to get some idea about where we go from here. The question was put to a philosopher, when he was dying: 'What do you feel new?' His answer was: ‘An immense curiosity.’ I hope my answer will be that time: ‘An immense confidence in God’s love.’

Lyrics to Where do I go from Here

Where do I go from here?
What fate is drawing near?
Touch my heart
And guide my lips in prayer.

Through the grace of God alone
I'll cast aside these fears I've known
And lift myself from
The depths of deep dispair.

Lead me through the darkness
And through each gloomy day.
Take my hand, oh, precious Lord
And help me on my way.