Wednesday 19 December 2012

COMMENT: daunting Pannenberg

Dear, William,

Your message is welcome.
Getting into Pannenberg is daunting reading, even in 'Faith an Reality' promoted as easy reading.
Even at that, the light shines....

For your interest, you may know of our current Refectory Reading at lunch, as pictured. Jaroslav Pelikan, outstanding in Scripture.
Yours 
Donald.  



----- Forwarded Message -----
From: William W ...
To: Donald ...
Sent: Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 14:34
Subject: Re: Pannenberg 'Divine Light'

Dear Father Donald,
I do like the portrait photo of you seated in choir, quite absorbed in reflection on the cover of the 'O Antiphon' Advent Hours!
Wolfhard Pannenberg is quite a new name to me (you are right out in the deep waters of the 'wide ocean of theology'!). I looked him up on Wikipedia and very helpfully followed a link to http://www.firstthings.com/article/2009/02/002-god-of-the-philosophers-9 This is giving me a 'flavour' of the mind of the man.I am pleased that you have discovered his writings in your library! Such discoveries make the very best presents!
I await an Amazon copy of Benedict XVI's volume 3 in time to read it over the Christmas period. Joachim Jeremias doesn't touch upon the Infancy Narratives, and so I am eager to read this third volume. I am thoroughly inspired by Balthasar's 'Does Jesus know us, do we know him'. I love his very refined thought... though it does take serious focus, and a re-read, in order to 'hold' each thought for its further development in his next chapter's revelation! Wonderful inspirational writing!
When domesticity interrupts my train of thought, I sometimes think it is a kindness - throwing me a life-belt to avoid me drowning in the 'wide ocean of theology'! I like to jot down phrases and connections as I read, upon which later to ponder, and these keep the flow going for me.
It is a great delight for me to share in your ocean voyage, thank you!
With my love in Our Lord,
William


No comments: