Monday 26 January 2015

COMMENT: Email on St. Francis de Salle

COMMENT:
Hi, William,
Your Email on St. Francis de Salle is a splendid commentary, the story of interesting memories. (Donald). 
------------------------------
 Fw: St Francis de Sales
Sancta Maria Abbey: http://www.nunraw.com.uk (Website)  
Blogspot :http://www.nunraw.blogspot.co.uk 
|
domdonald.org.uk 

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: William ...
To: Donald@....
Sent: Sunday, 25 January 2015, 13:53
Subject: Re: St Francis de Sales

Dear Father Donald,
I delight in St Francis' feast day, for his writings have had such an influence in my life, and I am so pleased to have the photo you insert of that portrait of him, so much closer-up than the one I have: for in 1984 I wrote to the Monastery of the Visitation, Thurnfeld, Austria to ask if they could send me a photo-card of St Francis' portrait (I must have seen it reproduced in a book), and they kindly did so, a small colour card of that portrait from 1622 that hangs in their monastery, and in my bedroom!
The Anglican clergyman who later gently coaxed me away from Anglican orders to Catholicism, gave me, in 1975, a slim selection of St Francis' letters, in which he wrote, "May the Master of the Spiritual Life be of as much help to you as he had been to 'BSWS' (his customary signing of his name, Benjamin Smith Wignall-Simpson)". Even before the 2nd hand bookshop obtained its grand building and vast stock, I found in its original Dickensian premises, in 1980, a copy published by Rivingtons in 1871 of a larger selection of St Francis' letters (for £1.50!). Attached image: front piece, and wonderful inscription in the book (the evidence of my name tells how I treasured this discovery!).
Thank you for celebrating his feast day with me!
With my love in Our Lord,
William

----Original message----
From : nunrawdonald@.........
Date : 24/01/2015 - 18:48 (GMTST)

Subject : True Devotion

Journalist  St Francis de Sales

Sent from my iPad. 
Saturday 24 January
Saint Francis de Sales
St. Francis de Sales
True Devotion 
  Posted By Blogger to  Dom Donald's Blog on 1/24/2015 05:16:00 pm
 

                                    

No comments: