Monday 8 June 2009

Newminster Abbey Northumberland

Left:
Bishop S. Cunningham, Principal Celebrant, Dom Donald with the Pilgrims.
The Walk from the Church in Morpeth to the Site of Newminster could be describe as the Obstacle Pilgrimage, a long pathway including five or six kissing-gates or styles. I was amazed by the walking of one 90 year old lady with sticks among so many elders and also small children. Quite an achievement marking the historic event.
Right:
Within the cl austral site, only covering was for the group of the Deaf School.











After returning to the St. Robert of Newminster Church of Morpeth, there was a warm welcome to the visitors to the Marque for copious refreshments.
The Church itself is a very interesting building.













There is a glorious collection of Saints in the Church, the twelve and Apostles and the statues of St. Joseph and St. Benedict. My question was to ask everyone where was St. Robert. Eventually, Fr. John Cooper, PP., lead me and two priests from Germany, to show me the treasures of his Church. Saint Robert of Newminster is rather hidden in a colured window in the side of the Apse.













News from RCDHN - Roman Catholic Diocese of
Hexham and Newcastle



WEB VIDEO

On Trinity Sunday two parishes in the diocese whose patron is Robert of Newminster joined together for a Pilgrimage and Celebration at the Ancient Ruins of Newminster Abbey in Northumberland.

This Abbey was established in 1138 and St Robert of Newminster presided over the Abbey until 1159. It was one of the largest Cistercian Monasteries in the north of England. The site, near Morpeth, is now in ruins, with a few stones and walling and foundations remaining.

On June 7th, the Feast of St Robert of Newminster, hundreds of parishioners from St Robert's in Fenham, Newcastle, and St Robert of Newminster in Morpeth joined together with Bishop Seamus Cunningham and visitors for a very enjoyable pilgrimage and celebration of Mass at the ruins of the ancient Abbey.

The mass was also signed for the deaf.

3 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

dear Dom Donald,

You have a lovely blog - and how lovely is the picture of Scotland -I must visit some time. I am a fan of the Trappists, making yearly retreats to St. Joseph's Abbey in Massachusettss, USA.

God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dom Donald,
I am happy to have fallen on your blog. It is lovely. I am called Kingsley Ake and used to be a monk in Bamenda Abbey with the name Br Luke. It is almost one year now since I was voted out of the monastery. After being in the monastery for nine years, I was not accepted for final profession. I will still like continue my search for God in a Cistercian Monastery. I am writting to you to ask for help. You may consider me for one of the monasteries in England or Ireland. Fr Nivard can tell you more about me.
I will be very grateful for your kind consideration

Luke

Unknown said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. Nice post! What a nice picture of Scotland. Newminster Abbey was a Cistercian abbey in Northumberland in the north of England. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks
Sam
My site