Tuesday 5 July 2011

COMMENT on the connection of 25 and 27 in Matthew 11.

Thank you, William, for the following.
D.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: WILLIAM ...
To: Donald ... .
Sent: Tue, 5 July, 2011 14:38:38
Subject: Re: [Matt 11:25-30] Ben XVI

Dear Father Donald,
You present this pericope with the interpretation of Pope Benedict XVI’s “Jesus of Nazareth” Vol.1, the most exquisite interpretation of the passage that I have ever read, and I love the conclusion: “The term "Son;' along with its correlate "Father (Abba)," gives us a true glimpseinto the inner being of God himself.”
As an ‘aside’, the word GLIMPSE describes it well for me, for when I first read it, my mind went into spiral mode – as it does when one is trying to read something when overtired. My eyes ‘separated’, as it were, glazing over as I gazed at the text on the screen, two images there before me. And then, as my focus returned and the images reunited, I realised that what I was experiencing with my vision was also being experienced in my spirit… two images, as of the Father and the Son, momentarily 'glimpsed' separately, now rejoined in focus to become one, and how intense the focus had become – indeed, it seemed that only by having that momentary GLIMPSE of them ‘separated’ could I now begin to SEE them as One.
Thank you for a wonderful study – and for a magical moment!
. . . in Our Lord,
William

Benedict XVI’s analysis of the title “Son of God”, with its complex prehistory, leading to the simple designation of “Son”, which is found only on the lips of Jesus, is fascinating. The historical perspective is illuminating, explaining the political theology that attached to the original title, and its progression from the “myth of divine begetting” to the  theology of election” which could only have meaning in a future promise, which was fulfilled in Jesus. In Jesus the term Son of God became “detached from the sphere of political power and becomes an expression of a special oneness with God” which is displayed, not in earthly courts and palaces but “in the Cross and Resurrection”.
Benedict XVI sees in the passage Mt 11:25-27, the “Messianic Jubelruf” (joyful shout) the decisive testimony:“Only the Son truly "knows" the Father. Knowing always involves some sort of equality… Truly to know God presupposes communion with him, it presupposes oneness of being with him….It becomes clear what "the Son" is and what this term means: perfect communion in knowledge, which is at the same time communion in being.”

The key passage must be that which follows:
“Only the " 

No comments: