Sunday 26 February 2012

COMMENT Lent William

Feast of Saint Bernard 2010
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: William W ….  
To: Fr. Nivard.. . .
Sent: Sunday, 26 February 2012, 14:18
Subject: Re: [Blog] Lent Community Chapter Sermon

Dear Fathers,

Just a comment, if I may, in response to Fr. Nivard's sermon, for his words are full of observations!

Togetherness usually has no formal agenda (except perhaps in Chapter), and it is in the refectory - rather than in the Offices - that personalities are revealed in the mode of love.

When I come amongst you on my [longed-for] cloistered retreats, there is one place in particular in which I see all the instances of which Fr. Nivard writes: the concern for other brethren, the reciprocity and mutual 'correction' with encouragement, and instances of personal holiness - and that is when the Community are gathered together in the Refectory.

In the Refectory I have witnessed 'the hand on the shoulder' of the other in an expression of concern; the shrug that is followed by a wry smile over the helping taken, or at the crumbs left for another to wipe-up, or at the wet tea towel abandoned for another to solve - all simple 'confusions' so well illustrated by each response without any of the 'worldly attempts' to counter or conceal, revealing a wonderful honesty one to the other; and the quite unconscious loving acknowledgement at the time of personal prayer for the sufficiency granted by Our Lord at table.

I am currently reading a fascinating commentary on the Cloud of Unknowing written by William Johnston SJ which focuses on the contemplative experience. Goodness me, if I feel a sense of distraction, even frustration, of being drawn away from my focus, then how will you not experience the distractions in even greater measure: the life of shared community might otherwise be a testing ground but for the wonderful honesty, humility and simplicity of manner that I see amongst you.

You live the life of Fr. Nivard's commentary, and how I love to witness it.

A joy to share my reflections,
With my love in Our Lord,
William

No comments: