Thursday 23 May 2013

Pentecost Celebrations - news from Sr. Jo


The Dormition Church - The Virgin and Child Mosaic.


"...what first caught my attention was one of the most beautiful mosaics I have seen, high up in the apse. It was of the Blessed Mother and the Child Jesus who was holding the inscription, " I am the light of the world" (below). 



In the semicircular apse, above the altar, shining mosaics represent Mary with the child Jesus. 
The words "I am the Light of the World" are inscribed on the open book that Jesus is holding. 
Just beneath is a quotation from the prophet Isaiah: 
"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14)]


Dear Sr. Jo, 
Thank you.
Your Holy Land Journal is graphic in words
I see that you are unencumbered with camera.
Later,  it may be useful for non-travelers to have illustrations, from the NET.
Yours... Donald
PS. First I will like to find a picture of  the CHURCH ad CAENACULUM (below).

----- Forwarded Message -----From:  Sr. Jo ...
To: Donald ...
Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 2013, 9:32
Subject: May 17th

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Friday May 17th...  My "good angel", Emmanuella, leaves our convent at 5.30am, every Friday, to attend Mass at the CHAPEL of CALVARY  in the HOLY SEPULCHRE. I decided to join her. No priest turned up at 6am but at 6.30 a pilgrim group arrived, along with 2 priests! We had a very prayerful Eucharist, even though it was all in Polish! I felt privileged to participate in this Eucharist in the place where Jesus gave up His life for all of us.

The PENTECOST CELEBRATIONS will take place in the CHURCH OF DORMITION and in the CENACLE and, as I haven't been to either of them, I decided to have a preview! I had no problem in going through the Old City to Zion Gate (30mins). Once outside this gate, I followed my map which turned out to be very misleading. I arrived at St. Peter of Gallicantu some way down the mount but still no sight of my objectives! 
A kind gentleman directed me back up to Zion Gate and then another to the Cenacle which is about a "stone's throw" from there!! Perfect joy!  I entered a very unassuming doorway, climbed up several stairs and entered the UPPER ROOM or THE CENACLE (15.60m. by 9.40m.) 
My first impressions were the darkness and then the starkness of the bare walls and ceiling. There were no icons or decorations of any kind, apart from a small, stained glass, Jewish window. The shape of the room was interesting with columns and arches. Through the centuries, this shrine has been in the care of the Franciscans, then the Moslems and now the Jews. What a complicated history!!  
Christians are allowed to visit it but not to have Worship Services in it, except on two days of the year, ie. Holy Thursday and Pentecost Sunday. This is where we venerate the memory of the LAST SUPPER and the INSTITUTION OF THE EUCHARIST, the APPEARANCES OF OUR RISEN LORD to the APOSTLES and the DESCENT of the HOLY SPIRIT on the APOSTLES and OUR LADY.  The latter event is commemorated in a smaller room up a flight of eight stairs. I found a slab to sit on, closed my eyes and reflected on these heart-warming events which we commemorate here.
From there, I walked round the corner to behold a total contrast, the very beautiful, magnificent BASILICA of DORMITION!   In the upper church, what first caught my attention was one of the most beautiful mosaics I have seen, high up in the apse. It was of the Blessed Mother and the Child Jesus who was holding the inscription, " I am the light of the world". 
The whole apse, the floor and the side chapels are all adorned with colourful mosaics and bronzes. 
As I entered the crypt, I immediately saw the Altar of the Dormition
right in the centre before which lay, in the peaceful slumber of death, the statue of the Virgin Mary. 
Again, there were many artistic mosaics, including one of Pentecost high up on the main apse. This basilica is in the care of the Benedictines (German) who have a monastery near by. The Franciscans also have a church nearby, called the CHURCH ad COENACULUM but it was locked so I couldn't visit it. I look forward to coming back for the Pentecost Ceremonies on Sunday.

In the evening, three of us walked to Notre Dame (10mins.) to see a new film, "The Stones
Cry Out" which is the story of the Palestinian Christians and was produced by Yasmine Perni, a young journalist. It was excellent but made me very sad, another reminder to pray for peace and justice for all!
Love,
Jo.  fmm 


Starting today, 1 February 2013, pilgrims can once again celebrate mass at the church in the Monastery of St. Francis Ad Coenaculum (familiarly known as the Little Cenacle), on Mount Zion, a few steps from the site of the Last Supper.




No comments: