Friday 18 October 2013

Gospel Lk. 12:8 12. Reading, St. Raphael Arnaiz Baron

Saints of the day: 
Saturday, 19 October 2013
Sts. Isaac Jogues, John de Brébeuf and Companions - Memorial
SAINTS ISAAC JOGUES
& JOHN DE BRÉBEUF
PRIESTS
&  THEIR COMPANIONS
MARTYRS
(1642-1649)
Theses eight men were Jesuit missionaries in North America in the 17th century, put to death, after fearful torture by
members of the Iroquois and Huron tribes.
See commentary below. 
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:8-12.
Jesus said to his disciples: "I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God.
. . .
For the holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say." 

Commentary of the day : 

 Saint Raphael Arnaiz Baron (1911-1938), a Spanish Trappist monk 
Spiritual writings, 04/03/1938 (trans. cf. M. Mitchell) 
"Everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God"
Today I take up my pen, in the name of God, so that my words, imprinting themselves on the white paper may give service in perpetual praise of God, the blessed author of my life, my soul, my heart. I would like the whole universe, with all the planets, stars and countless stellar systems, to be a vast smooth surface on which could be written the name of God. I would like my voice to be stronger than a thousand thunders, more powerful than the surge of the sea, more fearful than the eruption of volcanoes, only to say the name of God. I would like my heart to be as great as heaven, pure as that of the angels, guileless as that of the dove, so that it could possess God. But as none of these grandiose dreams can be realized, satisfy yourself, Brother Raphael, with little, and you who are nothing, that very nothing must suffice... 

Why keep silent about it? Why hide it? Why not cry out to the whole world and proclaim to the four winds the wonders of God? Why not say to everyone what they would like to hear: You see what I am? You see what I was? You see my wretchedness dragged through the mire? No matter. Marvel at it: in spite of everything, I have God. God is my friend! Let the sun fall and the sea dry up in amazement. God loves me so deeply that if the whole world understood this everyone would go mad and shout in sheer amazement. Still more, all that is very little. God loves me so much that even the angels themselves do not understand it!

How great is the mercy of God! To love me, to be my friend, my brother, my father, my master. To be God, and I to be what I am!... How is it that I don't become mad; how is it possible to live, eat, sleep, talk and have dealing with everyone?... How is it possible, Lord? I know well; it is you who have shown me: it is by the miracle of your grace.

No comments: