Thursday 3 May 2012

Saints PHILIP and JAMES Apostles -Feast



Saints PHILIP and JAMES 
Apostles -Feast   

Thursday, 03 May 2012
See commentary below or click here
First Letter to the Corinthians 15:1-8.
I am reminding you, brothers and sisters, of the Gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand. 
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 14:6-14.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Saint Bruno of Segni (c.1045-1123), Bishop 
Commentary on Saint John's Gospel; PL 165, 562 
"Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me"
«I am the Way.» Why? Because «no one comes to the Father except through me.» «I am the Truth.» How is this? Because no one knows the Father except through me: «no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him» (Mt 11,27)... «I am the Life,» because no one has life except through me. «If you know me then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.»
Jesus is saying to us: «Do you want to come to the Father? Do you want to know him? First of all get to know me, whom you see, and then you will know him whom as yet you do not see. You have already seen him but not as he is in himself; you have seen him in me. You have seen him, but in spirit and through faith. He it is who speaks in me, for I do not speak of myself. When you listen to me, you see him, for, when it is a question of spiritual realities, there is no difference between seeing and hearing: whoever hears, sees what he hears. Thus you see the Father when you listen to him speaking in me. And from now on you know him because he abides in you, he is in you.»
«Philip said to him: Lord, show us the Father and we shall be satisfied.» Philip was wanting to see the Father, not just in spirit with the eyes of faith, but still more with the eyes of the flesh. Moses, too, had said: «If I have found favor in your sight, show me your face that I may know you.» And the Lord replied: «No one can see my face and live» (cf. Ex 33,18-20). Here Jesus says to Philip: «Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me? Philip, he who has seen me has seen the Father.» Philip spoke about a vision of the senses; Christ calls him to an interior vision, inviting him to grasp him with the eyes of the soul. «It is so long a time I have been with you; it is so long a time I have been living with you; it is so long a time I have been revealing my divinity and power to you through my words, through signs and miracles, and you do not know me? Philip, whoever sees me, not with eyes of the flesh, as you believe, but with the eyes of the heart, as I am telling you, that person sees the Father.»